Friday, December 11, 2009

How I became Catholic - Part 1

I just realized that I have never blogged about my journey of becoming a Catholic…. so here I go. I’ll start at the beginning.

I was raised Protestant, going to Mennonite, Pentecostal and Full Gospel Churches. My grandparents on my mother and fathers side were Mennonite, although my mother’s parents eventually left to become part of the Full Gospel Church.

I had never really questioned my faith – I always believed in God, that I was a Christian and that I was meant to live a “good” life (at a young age that just meant not doing anything that would send me to Hell! Haha). In a sense I think that I really had a “blind faith”…I took what I was told at Church at face value and never really did any self-education. I especially never looked into other religions (including other Christian denominations, i.e. Catholicism)– I had this sense that it was wrong to do that, that if I wanted to learn about other religions it meant that was wanting to leave mine, and I didn’t.

I mainly grew up in Abbotsford, but from grade 2 to grade 6 we lived in Fort St. John (in BC, not back east!). When we moved back to Abbotsford, we started attending the Abbotsford Full Gospel Church (was a different name back then), which was pastured by my Uncle. It was a small church, but it was great – my cousin, and best friend, went there, my Aunt and Uncle were there, and my Grandparents were there. Other than sometimes going to a friend’s church on Saturday evenings in grade 12, I kept going to the full gospel church. At one point my mom told me that I didn’t have to go to her church anymore with her, if there was somewhere else I wanted to go…but I didn’t have a car, so I kept going there.

Around that time I started having a few issues with some things, three main issues to be exact. Baptism, Communion and, what I’ll just call “history”.


When I was 13 I decided that it was time for me to be baptized. So I told my Uncle, and Pastor, that the next time there were baptisms, I wanted to be baptized. I don’t remember much about it, but I know that at least for a couple Sundays before I was baptized, my Uncle would have a special Sunday School before church with those of us who were going to be baptized to learn more about what it was all about. I really felt that, as a Christian, I was called to be baptized. It seemed like such an important thing in the Bible, and all of my family members were baptized, so I knew I needed to be. The problem was that I didn’t quite understand it. I just remembered thinking that I felt like it was a much bigger thing than just being dunked under the water…that something else was supposed to happen. Because I didn’t know WHAT I thought was supposed to happen, my questions went unanswered. I went ahead and got baptized, and (I never told anyone this at the time) but I actually felt kind of sad/empty afterwards. Everyone else that got baptized said that they felt so “clean” afterwards, and that they felt “lighter” as they came up out of the water…and I I had the same feeling about communion. I know that as a Christian I was called to receive the “body” and “blood” of Jesus Christ in Communion. It seemed to be such an important thing in the Bible – it was the last thing that Jesus did with his disciples before he was crucified. But I didn’t understand why, at our church, we only received communion on the first Sunday of the month; I felt we should receive it more (and even some churches only have communion 4 times a year). I also didn’t really think that it was EVERYTHING it was meant to be. I continued receiving communion, but it was an empty experience; if this was “just bread”, why bother?



Now for the “history” part – it involves many things to me (I even incorporate authority into this feeling of history). As I said, I was going to a small church that my Uncle was the Pastor of, and he was the first Pastor of that church in Abbotsford. There are other Full Gospel Churches around, but he started this one under the direction of the ACOP (Apostolic Church of Pentecost). I didn’t like that there wasn’t any history behind our particular church. It had only began a few years before we moved back to Abbotsford. I also didn’t like that when I had questions, I didn’t have one source to go to. Of course I had the bible – but I couldn’t make heads or tail of that, especially on important issues. Once I got my driver’s license and more importantly, my own car, I decided to change Churches and see if I could figure things out.

I decided to go back to where it started for my family in Abbotsford – South Abbotsford Mennonite Church.

4 comments:

kortney said...

Thanks for sharing this - I was definitely interested in hearing this story - especially since you're right, I was confused in that I knew your brother!!!

Dr. Coopernicus Who said...

I didn't know you had such feelings about baptism and communion back then. That fascinates me because I've heard the same thing from George Carlin (comedian and atheist), yet his perspective comes from a Catholic upbringing...

"I remember at first communion I was seven years old, and they said, “You’re going to feel different, you’re going to get the blessed sacrament in your mouth, and you will be in a state of grace, you will feel God’s presence.” I thought, “None of that happened.” And I can remember noticing that. I probably, at some level, decided to listen a little more carefully to what they were saying in the future and maybe not just buy it all. But I was openly disdainful of what they were teaching before I reached eighth grade. And I felt that they attempted to lead me astray; they attempted to promise me things that weren’t attainable through their narrow method."

arbyn said...

This is great. I'm so happy you're writing about your journey--it's so important to figure out what you believe... for yourself!

doxasky said...

Thanks for sharing this Jackie. I wanted to ask you about it when the change was happening, but I wasn't here and then you weren't here, then I just didn't think about asking.

In regards to Baptism, I remember wanting to be baptized at Cowichan Camp, but my mom didn't want me to because she couldn't be there. When I was baptized in January of '97, I was thankful I didn't get baptized at Cowichan because I didn't really understand it then. While I was going to Bible College, part of me wished I had waited to be baptized because I now knew more about what it meant. I'm glad I did though because if I waited until I understood the full meaning of Baptism, I might never be baptized because there is constantly a new understanding.

As for Communion...I too think it should be received more often that it is at most churches. And though they quote one of two passages in Scripture, there is not enough said to really make the importance of it hit home.

And regarding a small part of the "history" section...obviously the ACOP does not have as long of a history as Catholicism, but they have managed to get one history book out in the last few years. It's called Streams of Grace.

I look forward to reading more about your journey to Catholicism. Miss you.