After my post "Where'd my baby go?" - he had a few really good days!! We haven't really done anything new at night - but there's a few reasons for it.
I was right about him wanting to eat more, but only as far as the days were concerned. He was a LOT happier once I started giving him more snacks and more sippy cups of milk.
But that all ended at around 1:30am every night. He's not handling the milk so good. He LOVES it, but his stomach does not. It equals painful gas for him in the middle of the night. I guess it doesn't bother him during the day, because he moves around enough to get the gas out, but at night after laying down for a few hours, it all builds up and he wakes up in a lot of pain - the only cure seems to be putting him over Conor's knee until it just comes out.
This is very disappointing for me - because I was really looking forward to not having to nurse him as much! I still wanted to keep nursing him at least 50% of the time (and I'm willing to do this for awhile because I know breastmilk is best for the first two years, not just the first year). But he nurses best when he's tired, otherwise he gets really cranky because my let down isn't as fast these days, and he gets so distracted with everything else. I loved that he loved his milk and sippy cup. As soon as he sees the cup he starts reaching up for it and crying out for it.
But no more milk for him - maybe I'll try again in a month or so. This means that I have to go back to nursing him full time... meaning not as much ME time... oh well.
Anyways, just as we're getting him off milk, he starts teething even worse! He has snot and drool EVERYWHERE as I speak! And I'm pretty sure the snot is not a cold, but just from the teeth coming in (a few people have told me that it's common)... so he's finding it very hard to sleep with a stuffed nose.
He only napped for MAYBE 45 minutes today. Not cool!
Hopefully these teeth just COME OUT already - and then I'll do a few happier posts! (About getting to hold baby Sophia a few days ago, and our dinner guests last night)
1 comment:
I mentioned the flavoured formula on FB - just wanted to say I didn't mean it to replace nursing at all - I totally support extended breastfeeding...and it IS best for the first 2 years...I just ran out of patience after 1 and she bit too much ;)
But I also thought I should add that the reason milk is important after 1 year is what the breastmilk can't provide - and that's the fat from whole milk for brain development. Nursing is good for a whole different stage of reasons, which you probably knew...but thought I'd remind you.
I talked to the health nurse (who is a friend of mine) and they don't even recommend formula past a year, except as transition onto whole milk - anyways.
I hope you get some rest and that you get a break somehow!!!!
Post a Comment