Friday, January 22, 2010

Time for a change


We have a dirty little secret. Finn still sleeps in our bed most (of the) nights!

I don't really think that it's WRONG to co-sleep/bed-share (as long as both parents are in complete agreement about it), but it's not what I want.

I'm so over it.

There's always an excuse: he's jet-lagged, he's teething, he's sick, he's gassy. But I don't want a three year old in bed with us! I guess it just never should have started, but it did, and now it has to end.

The fact that we only have one bedroom makes things difficult. We can "take turns" patting him or rocking him (no, not letting him cry - that will be the last option - but I just think I would handle that worse than letting him in our bed)... but the other person is still in the room, and kept awake. I tried really hard last night to not let him back in our bed. Meaning we each took about two or three turns rocking him or patting his bum, but each time his little head hit the crib mattress it was game over! I finally gave in - I hate giving in!

I hate new years resolutions - I think they're cheesy and set up for failure... but I'm setting one (albeit a little bit late). Finn has to be out of our bed.

First method - feeding him as much as he'll eat during the day. I've heard from a few people that their kids had been good sleepers and all of the sudden were waking up a lot. They decided to start feeding them more - an extra snack here or there - and they started sleeping better.

Wish us luck!

1 comment:

kortney said...

I can tell you that for us we were stuck in the same situation until Alexys was like 9 months. I can tell you, that for us, nothing worked except the crying thing. I tried them all - every book, every method.

The first time I tried CIO Alexys was too little for me to handle the tears. Now I'm over it and know she's just whining because she can. We started at 10 months (and she could already stand up at that point).

And yep, she goes down with a bottle. Bad mom? Maybe. But she doesn't fall asleep with it in her mouth. She drinks it and then goes to sleep.

Oh and I'm not sure it's possible where you are, but I've found on vacations and stuff, especially recently, Alexys absolutely cannot be in the same room as us, or else she's done and comes in the bed. Maybe you could make a fake room in your room to block out the sound? Alexys hears us, wakes up, and it's done.